The global Sjögren's syndrome therapeutics market is estimated to be worth $411m in 2011. It is expected to grow to $626m at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 5.4% by 2019. The growth in the market is primarily attributed to the increasing prevalence and an increase in the rate of diagnosis. The market is currently underserved as the available treatment options provide only symptomatic relief. Moreover, there is no single therapy approved for both primary and secondary Sjögren's syndrome. Evoxac (cevimeline) is approved in the US for xerostomia (dry mouth) associated with Sjögren's syndrome. Pilocarpine is a generic, approved for xerostomia associated with Sjögren's syndrome. However, physicians prefer to prescribe Salagen, a brand for pilocarpine. The current market demands new drugs with novel mechanisms of action to potentially treat and cure the disease in totality.Current Treatment Options Leave High Level of Unmet Need
The current competition in the Sjögren's syndrome therapeutics market is weak. There is significant opportunity for new entrants that are able to offer a disease-targeting approach. Only two drugs (pilocarpine (brand name Salagen) and cevimeline marketed as Evoxac) are approved for symptomatic relief. Other treatment options include generics, over the counter medication and off-label drugs with low safety profiles. The current therapies only offer symptomatic treatment for Sjögren's syndrome. New drugs able to reduce the severity or provide a disease-targeting mechanism will be able to successfully capture the Sjögren's syndrome therapeutics market.No Significant Change in the Future Landscape of the Sjögren's Syndrome Market
GlobalData's analysis indicates that there will be no significant change in the future landscape of the Sjögren's syndrome therapeutics market. This is mainly attributed to the weak pipeline with only one company-sponsored First-In-Class (FIC) molecule (P-522-02, developed by Parion Sciences in collaboration with Kainos Medicines) in Phase II. The present competition in the market is weak, as there are no approved drugs that can slow the progression of the disease or treatment options that can cure the disease.
The current market is dominated by the usage of generics, over the counter and off-label medicines, such as Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs (DMARDS) such as hydroxycholoroquine, cyclosporine A, methotrexate, Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS) (ibuprofen), salicytes (aspirin), corticosteroids (predinisone, Solbar 50), artificial tears, artificial saliva and other medications. These drugs only provide symptomatic relief. P-522-02 is also expected to provide symptomatic relief and is therefore not expected to impact the market during the forecast period.A Weak Pipeline Unlikely to Contribute to the Sjögren's Syndrome Therapeutics Market during the Forecast period
The product pipeline for the clinical development of Sjögren's syndrome treatment is weak, with seven molecules in the various phases of development. However, only one of these is sponsored by a company as the rest are all clinical studies sponsored by academic institutions/hospitals. There is only one molecule in Phase III, accounting for 14% of the pipeline, followed by five molecules in Phase II, accounting for 71% of the pipeline and one molecule in Phase I, accounting for 14% of the pipeline. There are six FIC molecules in the pipeline; however, only P-552-02 (Phase II) is sponsored by a company.Report Scope
The report provides information on the key drivers and challenges of the Sjogren's Syndrome Therapeutics market. Its scope includes –
- Annualized seven key markets (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK and Japan) Sjogren's Syndrome Therapeutics market revenues data from 2006 to 2011, forecast for eight years to 2019.
- Pipeline analysis data providing a split across the different phases, mechanisms of action being developed and emerging trends by seven key markets. Pipeline candidates fall under major therapeutic classes.
- Analysis of the current and future competition in the seven key countries Sjogren's Syndrome Therapeutics market.
- Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide a qualitative analysis of its implications.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs and the implications for the Sjogren's Syndrome Therapeutics market.
- Analysis of key recent licensing and partnership agreements in Sjogren's Syndrome Therapeutics market
Click for Report details:Sjögren’s Syndrome Therapeutics - Pipeline Assessment and Market Forecasts to 2019