Egyptian authorities say two American men kidnapped by Bedouin tribesmen in the Sinai Peninsula this week have been released. The tourists, both 31, are said to be unharmed and in custody of security forces.
The unidentified men were abducted Wednesday while traveling from Dahab to Nuweib. South Sinai governor secretary Gen. Ahmed Fawzi said the pair was freed Thursday after authorities negotiated a deal with the abductors. The tribesmen were demanding the release of a comrade who had been arrested on drug charges Tuesday. It is unclear if their demands were met in the deal.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo confirmed the abduction in a statement released earlier Thursday. The embassy has not commented on the men’s release.
Abductions by Bedouins are common in Sinai where lawlessness is rampant. In February, two American tourists were kidnapped near Mount Sinai by Bedouin tribesman demanding the release of two relatives jailed on drug charges. The tourists were released after several hours of negotiations.
Click here for more World News