The continuing popularity of tablets and similar mobile devices will be a key factor in the growth of the global light-emitting diode (LED) market. The mobile devices segment of the global LED market is expected to account for 39 billion unit sales by the end of 2012, but will almost double to 75 billion by 2016, climbing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 14%.
The mobile devices portion contributed $4.7 billion to the total LED market in 2011 – a share of 27% – and the insatiable demand for tablets such as Apple's iPad 3 and Google's new Nexus is expected to be a major market catalyst.
LEDs are employed to reduce the power required to backlight tablet displays, which are typically the most battery-sapping components. Other tablet requirements, such as consistent brightness and lack of flicker during dimming, are also met by LED technology. As a result, the expected escalation in tablet shipments across the globe will lead to an increase in the demand for highly efficient LEDs.
The tablet market had a global sales volume of 73 million units in 2011, but this value is expected to explode in the near future, reaching 350 million units in 2016.
Our report also explores the rising need for LEDs in horticultural applications, claiming the area has huge potential to enlarge the overall LED market value. The small size of LEDs, combined with their high efficiency and long lifespan, could see them play a big role in expanding plant cultivation and production.
This research report analyzes key information on market opportunities in the Light Emitting Diode (LED) and LED driver Integrated Circuit (IC) markets. The report provides information on industry dynamics, key suppliers, and the sales revenue and sales volume of LEDs and LED driver ICs. The report also provides forecasts for LEDs based on product type, region and end-application until 2016. Market size forecasts until 2016 are provided for organic and inorganic LEDs. The mobile appliance, automotive, lighting, and signs/displays application markets for LEDs are also discussed.
With the rising demand for portable devices and efficient lighting solutions, the LED market will increase. The potential growth markets for LEDs and LED driver ICs include display applications.
This report is built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research and in-house analysis by GBI Research's team of industry experts.
- The market size of LEDs and LED driver ICs in terms of sales revenue and sales volume. Historic data from 2004 to 2011 is provided, along with forecasts until 2016.
- The market size of organic and inorganic LEDs in terms of sales revenue and sales volume, including historic data from 2004 to 2011 and forecast data until 2016.
- The market in key regions, such as the Americas, Asia-Pacific and Europe, the Middle-East and Africa. Major countries in each region like the US, Canada, the UK, Germany, China and Japan are also covered.
- The market size for key applications, such as mobile appliances, automotives, lighting, signs/displays and others
- Comprehensive profiles of key companies, such as Nichia, Osram Opto Semiconductors, Texas Instruments, Macroblock.
- Analytical frameworks, such as Porter's five forces analysis and Growth Prospect Analysis, which are used to give a comprehensive view of the global LED market.
Reasons to buy
- Exploit growth opportunities in the global LED market.
- Devise market-entry and expansion strategies for LEDs.
- Develop business strategies from Porter's five forces analysis.
- Identify key growth markets for your products.
- Know the demand potential of the LED market.
Click for Report details:LED and LED Driver IC Markets to 2016