For people considering a counseling career, choosing an online counseling education program accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) has significant benefits that, until recently, were unavailable at most online universities:
- CACREP accreditation recognizes that a university's program meets or exceeds national standards of excellence established by counseling professionals.
- State licensing organizations and national certification agencies often recognize that programs accredited by CACREP meet higher professional standards of academic and professional preparation relevant to contemporary practice.
- Only a handful of land-based universities in each state have CACREP accredited programs. Through Capella, an online university, you now have access to a CACREP accredited program no matter where you live.
- Online degree programs allow people to fit education into their busy lives. A 24/7 class schedule allows adults to attend classes whenever it's convenient for them -day or night.
- Capella University is the only online university to have counseling specializations in its School of Human Services accredited by CACREP.
- Capella's marital, couple and family counseling/therapy and mental health counseling specializations are accredited through 2011, the longest term CACREP grants to any of its accredited institutions.