A pre-schooler ingests enough alcohol to kill her. How did it happen and who will be held responsible?
A Georgia pre-schooler was rushed to the hospital recently after collapsing. When doctors couldn’t revive her, they discovered she had died of extreme alcohol poisoning. An investigation was launched immediately, and the four-year-old girl’s father and aunt have been arrested and charged with felony cruelty to children and felony murder. The February 2011 crime resulted in four other children in the home being removed after it was suggested that the father "plied" the little girl with alcohol.
In recent years, sites like YouTube have made giving babies or young children swigs of beer or hits off a bong seem like something funny by some viewers instead of dangerous.
Dangers of Giving Kids Alcohol
It IS dangerous, though, and as this story shows, it can be deadly. Why? Because a tiny body can’t metabolize alcohol the way a full-grown adult can. Giving a child even a small amount of alcohol can be the as poisoning your child.
Details of the case have not been disclosed so it’s not clear if the adults in this case were intoxicated during the incident. Either way, it’s a good reminder that there’s no such thing as harmless fun when it comes to children and alcohol.
If you or someone you love is battling an alcohol addiction, call La Paloma at our toll-free number. Someone is there to take your call 24 hours a day and answer any questions you have about treatment, financing or insurance.